Fly Fishing for Trout in Hot Temperatures
Although we are all very grateful for a bit of sunshine over the summer months it does mean even greater care should be taken when fly fishing for trout to ensure the fish is handled correctly.
Rio Products have put together a great video to show you some handy tips on how to fish for trout in high temperatures. Here is a quick preview of what you need to know:
- Use a heavier weighted rod (#5/#6) which will allow you to land a trout much quicker.
- Handle the trout with care, using a rubber net bag. Using an old school net is like sandpaper on a trout’s skin!
- Fish in the early morning or later in the evening when the water is likely to be cooler.
- Fishing at higher elevation usually results in lower air and water temperatures.
- Use de-barbed or barbless hooks to ensure it is easy to remove the hook from the fish’s mouth.
- If your lucky enough to hook a fish, play it quickly and try and keep it wet the whole time.
To watch the full Rio Products video click here.
Some products we recommend:
Heavier Weighted Rods for Trout Fly Fishing in high temperatures:
Guideline Elevation Single Handed Fly Rod